Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Get to Play With Fire!

Finally, after all this time, I get to play with fire and glass like Mummy. She has let me have a little turn before - but not since she got her new torch.
First of all Mummy let me choose 3 colors to make my beads with. I chose Black, Red and White, because Mummy said that I couldn't use the expensive glasses - like the nice purple she has sitting there or the bright shiny metallics ....mean Mummy! (I have a little poke around when she isn't looking and feels brave enough to leave me alone to torch).

Then, of all the cheek, she said that I couldn't make a bead right away - I had to get a feel for the glass by making stringers - WHAT? And I had to make at least 3 of each colour glass I had chosen - she made 2 in the white first to show me how to do it.Well I made the boring stringers - and I discovered that the white glass was the easiest and the black glass was the hardest to tell when to pull. Mummy was right about the glasses feeling different - but I'm not going to admit that to her!!!

Pulling my first stringer - I think I let it get a bit cool

After I had made my stupid stringers, with Mum standing right beside me supervising ....and keeping on telling me to sit straight on to the torch in my chair....and to keep rolling the rod around so the heat gets right through ...and heaps of other stuff (she's real bossy, my Mum, but secretly I switched off & wasn't listening except when I needed her to rescue me) - she let me make a bead!

She had to help a couple of times when the glass wanted to try and drop off onto the table - but I got the hang of it....in the end.... but gosh she talks - a LOT!
"Sit up straight Gabriela, if you sit wonky in your chair your bead will be wonky" - "hold the mandrel straight Gabriela- if you don't your bead will droop"....sheesh - does she ever stop? Did I mention she was bossy?

Making my first bead

I made two beads & they aren't too bad. Mummy is going to take photo's of them tomorrow so we have a visual progress record!

No comments: